1. It is an event which celebrates the achievements of Indians living abroad.
2. Aim: To connect India to its vast overseas diaspora and bring their knowledge, expertise and skills on a common platform, the PBD Convention – the flagship event of Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA), Government of India is organized from 7th-9th January every year since 2003.
3. Event organizing ministries: Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs; Ministry of youth Affairs and Sports; Govt of Gujrat.
4. 9th JAN: Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated on 9th January every year to mark the contribution of Overseas Indian community in the development of India.
5. It was on this day in 1915 that Mahatma Gandhi, the greatest Pravasi, returned to India from South Africa, led India’s freedom struggle and changed the lives of Indians forever.
6. NRI-DAY: The little-known event is also known as ‘Non-Resident Indian Day’
7. So far, Thirteen PBDs have been held in various places of India :
1st PBD, 2003: New Delhi .
12th PBD, 2014: New Delhi,
13th PBD, 2015: Gandhinagar, Gujrat
(a) State of Gujarat will host 13th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) from 7 January 2015 to 9 January 2015.
(b) It will mark the 100th year of Mahatma Gandhi’s return to India from South Africa.
( c) Chief Guest: would be Guyana President Donald Ramotar.
( d) Theme for 2015: 100 years of Mahatma Gandhi’s return to India from South Africa(Century celebration) .
8. TAG line of PBD: Apna Bharat Apna Gaurav.
9. Youth PBD: 7th Jan
Theme for Youth:
The youth segment of PBD will be inaugurated with the theme “Bharat ko jano and Bharat ko mano”
10. Private carrier Jet Airways has been designated as the official airline partner for the upcoming Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit 2015 for the seventh consecutive time
11. South African Foreign Minister :
Maite Nkoana-Mashabane also attended this year’s Pravasi Bharatiya Divas, commemoration to mark the return of Bapu Mahatma Gandhi’s from South Africa 100 years ago.
12. Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award (PBSA) :
( i) It is the highest honour conferred on overseas Indians.
(ii) During the event, individuals of exceptional merit are honoured with the prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award to appreciate their role in India’s growth.
(iii) Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari, gave away ‘Pravasi Bharatiya Samman’ awards to 15 members of the Indian diaspora.
(iv) Awardees: Mala Mehta; Donald Rabindernauth Ramaotar; .Dr Rajaram Sanjaya; Kanwaljit Singh Bakhshi; Rajmal Parakh; Duraikannu Karunakaran; Essop Goolam Pahad; Shah Bharatkumar Jayantilal; Ashraf Palarkunnummal; Mahendra Nanji Mehta; Professor Nathu Ram Puri; Satya Nadella; Dr. Nandini Tandon; Dr. Kamlesh Lulla; Lord Raj Lumba;