➡ Govt to launch KUSUM scheme to promote solar farming among farmers
▪ Union government announced a fund of Rs 1.4 lakh-crore for the ambitious Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahaabhiyan (KUSUM) scheme. The scheme will work towards promoting solar power production a.k.a. solar farming up to 28,250 MW to help farmers.
The Union Budget 2018-2019 has allotted Rs 48,000 crore to lead the scheme for a period of ten years.
➡ KEY FACTS ABOUT THE KUSUM SCHEME
▪ KUSUM scheme will provide 1.75 million off-grid agricultural solar pumps
▪ It will build 10,000 MW solar plants on barren lands for solar farming
▪ Farmers will be given a chance to earn extra income if they help produce additional power by setting up solar power project on their barren land
▪ The energy produced by the farmers on their barren land will be bought by the state electricity distribution companies (DISCOMS)
▪ The scheme is likely to decrease the consumption of diesel in the agriculture sector (used in pumps)
▪ KUSUM scheme also includes the distribution of 17.5 lakh solar pumps for which 60 per cent subsidy will be given to the farmers.
You can also join our Telegram channel to get daily News, Current Affairs, Notes by clicking on the below link
Telegram Exam Channel